Saturday 19 May 2012

Showcase - Castle Avaris

I actually built this a few months ago on my servers Minecraft 1.0/1.1 map, but only got around to taking pictures of it the other day. It was raining on Minecraft at the time so I cut the empty sky out and put in a nice background by ~nighthawk101stock.

I've never named my creations before so this is a bit new for me - it's called Castle Avaris, after an ancient Egyptian city. The name means "Great House" and denotes the "capital of an administrative division of the land", basically a place where a lot of important stuff happens, which is particularly suitable as I'm the single server owner. The inhabitants of the ancient city were known to worship the god Set, who was god of the desert and thunderstorms (along with a lot of other things depending on whether or not he was liked at the time and place), which is relevant because the castle takes up half a desert, and while it was being built there were an extortionate amount of thunderstorms.

The whole structure, including flattening a large section of desert, was completed single handedly on mod-free Minecraft survival hard mode with no cheats - I sold a lot of enchanted tools, arrows and sand for diamonds, slime balls, etc. to fellow players on the server.


If anyone want's to know what the buildings are: (In the top, front view picture) In the bottom left is an underground passageway to a skeleton spawner XP/bonemeal/arrow farm, and to my old house. The bottom right structure is a 96-piece wheat farm which is harvested with water at the flick of a switch. The top right building is an animal barn which contains many edible animals, including mooshrooms thanks to Immortalium walking for hours and hours to find some and heard them all the way back. Finally, the huge structure at the top in the middle is my "house", complete with several floors, secret rooms, roof access, and other such fun (but perhaps slightly pointless) attributes.

I will not be giving a map download for this, as the map was over 780mb and I can't be arsed. I hope you like the castle!

2 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic! I've always wanted to do a nice castle, sort of like that, but I've never wanted it just for show- I wanted some kind of practicality to it like turrets and such. The texture pack makes it look beautiful and the stars are amazing. Only problem is that chunk of grassland. You should think about using the sand you obtained to just spread the desert biome falsely.

    I also wanted to say that I enjoy your blog and I linked it with mine, thefablecraft.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic castle.
    780MB? Wow, you sir, are epic.

    ReplyDelete